In July 2013, City Council approved the 'complete street' design for Main Street. In the Environmental Assessment Study, it performed best in terms of:
- Supporting a healthy business environment with high quality sidewalks, cycling facilities, and 24 hour parking in protected bays;
- Promoting pedestrian safety and comfort due to a separation of the sidewalk from vehicle lanes and shortening of crosswalk lengths;
- Providing the most inclusive cycling facility (cycle track) for cyclists of all ages and abilities;
- Enabling space for improvements to community character and the visual environment;
- Reduced motor vehicle speed due to narrowing of roadway and road geometry;
- Increasing the separation between motor vehicles and residences and reducing their associated effects in terms of noise and vibration;
- Providing for an appropriate Arterial Road capacity and level of service for vehicles using the corridor while enabling pursuit of the City's objectives identified in the Official Plan, Transportation Master Plan, and the Old Ottawa East Community Design Plan.
Following the direction of council, the project team has continued to consult with the community while developing its detailed designs.