Old Ottawa South is situated between the Rideau Canal and the Rideau River, from Bronson Avenue to Avenue Road.
American and British settlers first established the neighbourhood around 1814. The Bank Street Bridge, built in the late 19th century, made the community more accessible from the north. At the time, Old Ottawa South was known as Rideauville. It was incorporated as a police village, then annexed by Ottawa in 1907. Streetcar tracks were installed around 1910, following a route similar to that of the No. 7 bus, with the turnaround loop at Brewer Park.
Population: 6,200 (estimate based on 2011 Census)
Community Newspaper: The Oscar
The Old Firehall
260 Sunnyside Ave.
Ottawa, ON K1S 0R4
613-247-4872 or 613-247-4946
View Old Ottawa South in a larger map